March 18, 2018, 03:22:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register Chat LONG AND STRAIGHT SWING SPEED RADAR Golf Swings USSLDC Golf Biz  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Steps to Better Putting  (Read 2991 times)
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:03:39 PM »

Step One         Line Up Your Golf Ball

Tiger Woods does it. And the only reason Jack Nicklaus never did it is because nobody
had thought of it yet. I don't know who first thought of it, but they are a genius.
Think about like this. If you do not use a line on the ball to line up on your target line, there
is no other visual reference. The line doesn't exist and you are left to a mental picture that is
vague at best.

Fortunately, most ball makers are putting a line of sorts on their balls. But still, the more
visible the line, the better. So get out your Sharpie and put something on that ball that really
jumps out at you

And it will help if you practiced lining up the ball a little bit. You don't have to be at the golf
course. Just point it at something on the carpet at the house. But don't let the word practice
scare you. I just mean work on it for about five or ten minutes and you will have it
mastered and ready for use at the golf course.

And, this is important, if you are not comfortable with the alignment of the ball once you
get over the putt, back off a look at it again. Nobody is going to care and it only takes 10
seconds to do it. And most likely by the time you you stand back up to the putt it will look
right. If it still doesn't look right, then it is wrong and you should realign the ball.
There is nothing that will improve your putting quicker than to create a physical visible
reference to what has, up until now, been an imaginary line

Step Two            Focus on the Speed

Speed is KING! Put it in its proper place.
I work at a golf course and play with players of all levels. I myself shoot in the mid 70's. In
my experience, speed is the biggest problem for most players when it comes to putting. The
same players who spend a lot of time on the line hit the ball way to hard or too easy.
You should think hard about the speed and make a couple of practice strokes while you are
standing behind the ball. I also find it helpful to look at the hole as I do this.

It is a matter of feeling the arm stroke required to get the ball into the hole. And you have
to get feeling for the speed before you ever step over the putt. If you are trying to figure out
the speed after you step over the putt, it is too late.

You have to commit to the speed before you get over the ball, and then establish the feel
for the speed from your putting position with two or three practice strokes. Don't make the
mistake of worrying about the path or anything else on your practice strokes. They are only
for the speed.

Always remember that speed is crucial and should be your primary concern. You can't
really read a putt if you don't have an idea of the speed to base the read on. And that's just
another reason for speed to be on the top of your list of putting concerns.

Step Three             Follow the Line

You have lined up your golf ball, and committed to your speed. Now it is time to approach
the ball and and get set up to hit the putt. Most people just waste the approach to the ball,
when it can really be a beneficial few seconds.

The only thing that comes close to speed in importance is line, and it is a close second. By
the time you have gotten behind the ball for a final look at the read, you should be
comfortable and committed to the speed. As you take that final look at the read, follow the
line on the ball for a final visual check.

You will likely have a few little steps to make as you walk up to take you stance. As you
do, follow the line on the ball out to the area directly in front of the ball for a foot or so. Do
this repeatedly until it is time to get lined up.

When line up time comes, you will be very familiar with the line in front of the ball that it
will eventually roll over on the way to the hole. It reinforces your perception of the line on
the ball by extending that line in your minds eye.

It also allows you get comfortable with the line so you will not have to second guess
yourself while you are aiming the putter.

Ray Beaufait

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »

One question........whose picture or avatar are you using in your profile?  

I understand you are using your posts to promote your site.  I have no problems with this as long as you are posting entertaining, good and educational information on this forum for Golf Swings dedicated followers.  I also set your paragraphs and did a spell check for you.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:18 PM »

What did your mean?
send me a email
Ray Beaufait

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:12:11 PM »

I figured out the picture is Gwyneth Paltrow.......thanks for posting good informative information.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Jump to:  

Share |

Long And Straight Long And Straight
by Steve Griffith
Price: $4.99

Auto-delivered wirelessly

Learn More

WORLD'S FAVORITE GOLF FORUM site has over 100 Golf Swing Video Clips of your favorite golfers! Golf Swings LIVE FORUM web site was created to help educate and entertain golf enthusiasts around the world. We have BOARD links to the PGA Tour, Health Items, World Golf Ratings, USGA Rules, World Long Drive competitors, the LDA, Free Stuff, Great Products, Sport Downloads and much more. Hours and hours of entertainment. Join our forum free today. Interact with millions of other golfers. A chat and/or shout box have been added. Guests and members can use chat to leave messages.

Anything and everything you want to know about golf can be found in this forum.

If you are not interested in joining this forum but interested in new Golf postings
Subsribe to GOLF SWINGS Update_Notification_ list:

Home - Main Page