January 18, 2018, 10:43:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register Chat LONG AND STRAIGHT SWING SPEED RADAR Golf Swings USSLDC incepta..ca Golf Biz  

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FREE TODAY

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Right Shoulder Rotator Cuff - Any suggestions other than surgery  (Read 19056 times)
Ray Beaufait
Administrator

« on: March 06, 2009, 09:41:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Right Shoulder Rotator Cuff - Any suggestions other than surgery
Hi Friends...

As many of you know, I was a world finalist at the RE/MAX world long drive competitions in 2007.  While training for this competition I overdid it and and now I have a shoulder injury that continues to cause me problems.  

After a MRI I went to a orthopedic surgeon, but he gave me no guarantees that the surgery would correct my problem.  He stated,  "your shoulder condition is like that of an old baseball pitcher.  You have just wore it out with years of abuse".  

The surgeon said a 65 year old man should not be trying to swing a golf club over 120 mph.  My tendons are worn and there is a lot of inflammation.  He gave me a cortisone shot that helped some but it did not cure.  The pain comes and goes but it mostly stays.  The pain prevented me from even trying to compete last year.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or miracle cures, other than surgery, that may help relieve the pain and stiffness and allow me to start training again?

Thanks

Ray

ISUCKATGOLF

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:36:03 AM »
ReplyReply

Hey Ray,

Good luck with the forum! Sorry to hear about your shoulder, I've got a similar problem with mine (left shoulder.)
I'll ask the fitness people at the site about it and report back to you. Good luck with the forum. With all of the fans of your site I'm sure it will be a hit. Thanks bud....and anyone reading this...listen to this man when he give out tips! He knows of what he speaks!!  Grin
Here's Ray in the Remax long drive competition!
Ray Beaufait
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 10:23:12 AM »
ReplyReply

Good morning ole buddy...

Thanks for joining.  I figured you might have a miracle cure for my shoulder.  I am going to try and fight through the pain and compete again this year.   

You may  advertise your great site on this forum also.  Ken has a site that is full of golf information and tips.  Some of the best looking golfers in the world reside on Ken's site.  On his site he has a spot for ole Rippin' Ray's long drive tips.

Come back often and add anything you think will help your visitors and Golf Swings visitors improve their golf game.  Your site is a one of a kind entertaining site.

http://isuckatgolf.net

ISUCKATGOLF

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:15:30 AM »
ReplyReply

Hey Ray,
Glad to be a part of the forum...thanks for the plug!

I think you know as well as I that playing through the pain isn't really the issue unfortunately. With this kind of injury there's usually associated weakness. Even if you play through it you may not be able to turn as well or release as well etc, result is loss of distance. I really think you need to look into alternative "cures". Strength and stretching of course which you do now...Maybe some kind of Vitamin/suppliment regimin. I'd look for a good sports rehab center and one that specializes in alternative treatments to surgery. You can bring your X-rays and such. Heck it can't hurt and can only help. I'm thinking the surgeon you went to, although probably very good isn't the guy for you. Just that comment about "a 65 year old shouldn't be swinging a club 120 plus miles/hr..." What you need is someone who understands that very few guys of any age CAN swing a club at that speed, even if there was no ball they were trying to hit! Nope, don't like that comment! Alternative medicine and customized specific exercises I think is the way to go. I'll ask the fitness experts at our site if they have anything you may not have tried yet.

ken
http://isuckatgolf.net 

(you said the link was ok right?!  Grin
Kent Eaton

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:45:05 PM »
ReplyReply

I hope this helps....

The following information appears courtesy of orthopedic surgeon Dr. Larry Foster.

Shoulder pain includes:

• Rotator cuff tendonitis, tear, impingement
• A-C joint arthritis
• Instability, scapular lag

Symptoms:

Pain in the shoulder or upper arm at various phases of the golf swing, night pain, pain with overhead activities.

Treatments:

Among the possible treatments are: Rest, medication, therapy, cortisone, surgery.

Do:

• Maintain proper strength and flexibility of the shoulder and scapular muscles (of both shoulders).
• Slow down the backswing to reduce stress on the shoulders.
• Consider adopting a flatter swing plane to sweep the ball off the turf and reduce the chance of shoulder-jolting divots.

About the Author

Larry Foster, M.D., F.A.A.O.S., is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who calls himself "a bad golfer, but a good golf orthopedist." Dr. Foster's enthusiasm for golf has earned him the nickname "Dr. Divot." Dr. Foster trained at Columbia University and the Hospital for Joint Diseases in New York City. He is the author of "Dr. Divot's Guide to Golf Injuries."

More Info on Shoulder Pain

For a more in-depth examination of shoulder pain, visit the ADAM Healthcare Encyclopedia on About.com.

Kent Eaton
ISUCKATGOLF

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
ReplyReply

Hey again bud!

Heard back from Clay Garland, our fitness guy at ISUCKATGOLF.net. Here's his response.

Ray,

That problem sounds like something that can't be fixed in the gym.  From personal experience, before you take the leap and get surgery, you should definitely first consult a chiropractor.  Not just any chiropractor though, make sure they specialize in ART therapy.  I was having pain and constant tightness in my shoulder and 2 sessions of this therapy started relieving it.  Now I go back only once per week to keep my spine aligned and sometimes get ART to loosen muscle adhesion's.  Here is a link to the chiropractor I go to, it explains on the site what ART is and how it helps http://www.stakerchiropractic.com/ .  It will save you a lot of money and rehab if it works.  It can only help!  Let me know what happens.

Clayton Garland, PGA, C.G.F.I.
http://blog.pgaclay.com

I've had SOME success with chiro's myself. Haven't gone for the shoulder though. Might be worth a shot?

G'night
Ken
Ray Beaufait
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 11:58:35 PM »
ReplyReply

Thanks Ken for passing this information on.  Thank Clayton for me.  I will try the chiropractor as it sure can't harm anything.  I tried swinging today and after about 3 swings I put the club away. 

ISUCKATGOLF

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:14:46 AM »
ReplyReply

Ray, Is this a "frozen shoulder" or a rotator cuff problem, or both? if it's a frozen shoulder my dad had that bad and the Rx told him to take a bucket of water and swing it out by his side. (that centrifugal force thing.) That may help. If not it'll give you something to do! Seriously, I know how you feel, I went out back to take a few mock swings. (no club even) and it hurt as soon as I got to hip height. It's hurt so long that I doubt there's a quick fix here. Mine is more of a tight feeling as if the muscles or tendons simply aren't long enough, or not stretching as they should. Hard to explain. Upper arm, mostly the back but front too. It feels like if I could get on a Medieval times "rack" and stretch for a 1/2 hour I'd be good to go! Good Luck bud,
ken
Ray Beaufait
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:08:21 AM »
ReplyReply

Ray, Is this a "frozen shoulder" or a rotator cuff problem, or both? if it's a frozen shoulder my dad had that bad and the Rx told him to take a bucket of water and swing it out by his side. (that centrifugal force thing.) That may help. If not it'll give you something to do! Seriously, I know how you feel, I went out back to take a few mock swings. (no club even) and it hurt as soon as I got to hip height. It's hurt so long that I doubt there's a quick fix here. Mine is more of a tight feeling as if the muscles or tendons simply aren't long enough, or not stretching as they should. Hard to explain. Upper arm, mostly the back but front too. It feels like if I could get on a Medieval times "rack" and stretch for a 1/2 hour I'd be good to go! Good Luck bud,
ken

Mine is a rotator cuff problem.  My rotator cuff is not damaged but the tendons attaching are shredded from overuse.  This causes inflammation and the area within the RC and tendons becomes smaller and the tendons catch on or rub the bones within the shoulder.  The surgeon says he could go in and shave to bones to give the tendons more room but I said absolutely no to this.

ISUCKATGOLF

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 12:48:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Ray,

Thanks for signing up for our forum too! I heard back from Susan Hill, who is a well known golf fitness instructor who is also a contributor to our site http://isuckatgolf.net/susanhill.html , her site is http://www.fitnessforgolf.com/

Here's her response and she'll be getting back with more info. in a few days. Hang in there bud. We'll have you "Rippin' " it again in no time!

Ray,

This type of situation can be very frustrating. I am very proud of you for asking more questions, as my experience indicates there are more solutions other than the ones which may appear as your last ‘hope’. I work with a physical therapist who understands golf and has written some extensive shoulder rehab guides. I am going to contact him and ask him to respond to your question here. Please give me a few more days and I believe it will be worth your time. These decisions can be very important.

Best regards,

Susan Hill

Ray Beaufait
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »
ReplyReply

Hi Ray,

Best regards,

Susan Hill[/i]

Susan ...thanks, I will be looking forward to your reply.

Ray

ISUCKATGOLF

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Ray,

Susan Hill sent me this answer from her shoulder expert. Hope it helps! You can Google (or Yahoo!) item #2 to find the specific exercises to do. Let me know if you have any questions about it. Good Luck "R.R." (Rippin' Ray)

Ray,

With chronic rotator cuff inflammation, you must take a very progressive systematic approach to recovery and return to play.  Years of playing (abuse if you will) often leaves the shoulder feeling bruised and battered.  Most golfers neglect to sufficiently strengthen the scapular muscles and rotator cuff muscles throughout their playing careers unless they experience an injury early on.  To sufficiently recover or make the best of the situation at hand, you must do the following things:

1.   Reduce all irritating actions long enough to allow the acute inflammation to resolve.  By acute, I am referring to the more intense and immediate soreness brought about by doing vigorous lifting, swinging too hard, or even swinging too often based on what the shoulder can currently handle.
2.   Begin a systematic scapular stabilizer and rotator cuff strengthening program(you should be able to Google that phrase Ray.) designed specifically for the inflamed shoulder.  It may be necessary to cut out some traditional strength training exercises altogether or in the interim while the focus shifts to the healing tissue itself.  A properly directed rehab plan should be able to improve your symptoms (not necessarily 100% resolve them) in as little as 4-6 weeks).
3.   Address any apparent trunk, spine or hip deficiencies that may be leading to altered swing mechanics or excess strain dissipated through the shoulder during the golf swing.  This may appear as weakness or movement restriction in my experience.
4.   Implement very selective flexibility exercises taking extreme caution not to force the shoulder through a range of motion that only serves to exacerbate the current level of inflammation.  This is a mistake often made by people who assume the limitation in motion is due to tightness when in fact it is usually due to pain inhibition.  Forcing the shoulder through this painful range only sets you back longer.
5.   Once the exercises begin to work and the inflammation subsides, you can gradually integrate a “threshold training” plan specific to golf.  By threshold training, I mean learning to train the shoulder to the threshold of your pain level without increasing inflammation yet consistently working to increase the threshold of tolerable activity without increased pain.  This is a  science to be sure.  Pitchers think of it as interval throwing programs.  Golfers rehabbing the shoulder need to think of it as an interval hitting program along with the routine tweaking of their exercise session to match what the shoulder is telling them as they progress.  Ideally, the threshold to pain should increase steadily to the point where you can return to limited  hitting and then to full hitting with minimal to no pain.  Observing baseline pain before, during and after hitting is critical to determining the next steps in the return to play progression.

The real key in this scenario is integrating proper recovery in the program based upon interpreting the signs the body gives you.  Most people tend to rest for a short while and then try to resume full activity too quickly.  They end up re-aggravating the shoulder due to too much volume and/or intensity.  They then become stuck on the proverbial hamster wheel of pain and inflammation.  So, follow the steps above and use ice after exercise to reduce soreness. 

Brian Schiff, PT, CSCS
www.healthygolfshoulders.com
stlmo10

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »
ReplyReply

My experience with a right shoulder rotator cuff injury is as follows.

I hurt my shoulder either 1) pitching baseballs fast until I was 57, and then couldn't anymore, 2) weight lifting to much weight until I was 57 and couldn't anymore, 3) falling with a bad landing on my right hand (probably happened a few times before I discovered rotator cuff problems).

I learned that rest and not moving my arm back too far (even to flip on a light switch) calmed it down, and I was pain free unless I made an extreme movement backwards. Keeping my are more forward allows me to be pain free.

When pain free I find that the golf swing does not aggravate the shoulder. I still have good power (IF I can swing it right!). I cannot do a full swing one handed where my arm might swing back too far, but two handed my left arm keeps the right arm from going back to a position of pain.

Whatever you are doing with your right arm that is causing pain . . . stop doing that!!

Ray Beaufait
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »
ReplyReply

Whatever you are doing with your right arm that is causing pain . . . stop doing that!!

LOL......good advise and smart advise......still laughing..... Grin

Ray Beaufait
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
ReplyReply

http://beauproductions.com/golfswingsws/healthpages/rotarycuff.html

Ray Beaufait
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
ReplyReply

GOOD NEWS FOR ME!  MY SHOULDER WITH A YEARS REST SEEMS TO BE 80% BETTER AND I THINK I WILL BE ABLE TO COMPETE AGAIN IN LD CONTESTS.  AT 67 I WOULD LIKE TO BEAT THE LIKES OF RICK BARRY AND FRED HOOTER.  (I MIGHT BE DREAMING)

STARTING THIS SPRING I WILL START TRAINING AGAIN.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Share |
REGISTER FREE TODAY

FORUM HOME OF

Long And Straight Long And Straight
by Steve Griffith
Price: $4.99

Auto-delivered wirelessly

Learn More

SERVING THE GOLF COMMUNITY SINCE 1998
HTTP://USWORLDGOLF.COM

US WORLD'S FAVORITE GOLF FORUM
OVER 10 MILLION VISITORS TO GOLF SWINGS' WEB SITES

WORLD'S FAVORITE GOLF FORUM site has over 100 Golf Swing Video Clips of your favorite golfers! Golf Swings LIVE FORUM web site was created to help educate and entertain golf enthusiasts around the world. We have BOARD links to the PGA Tour, Health Items, World Golf Ratings, USGA Rules, World Long Drive competitors, the LDA, Free Stuff, Great Products, Sport Downloads and much more. Hours and hours of entertainment. Join our forum free today. Interact with millions of other golfers. A chat and/or shout box have been added. Guests and members can use chat to leave messages.

Anything and everything you want to know about golf can be found in this forum.

If you are not interested in joining this forum but interested in new Golf postings
Subsribe to GOLF SWINGS Update_Notification_ list:

Home - Main Page